Wednesday, October 03, 2007

K is for Kuala Lumpur on ABC Wednesday

The Petronas Towers


Base of the Towers is a shopping center


Windows from the 42nd floor Skybridge looking down


On the Skybridge looking from one end to the other



Sorry, I have more travel photos this week.

I was fascinated with Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers after seeing it in the 1999 movie Entrapment. In 2002, my dream came true when I had a chance to travel to Malaysia's capital of Kuala Lumpur and take a tour of the Towers' Skybridge. I arrived to the city at night and saw the Towers lit up from my hotel window. It was a breathtaking sight and I couldn't believe I travled halfway around the world to see it.

At that time, it was the tallest buildings in the world. I had to lie on the ground so I could capture the whole building with my camera.

Even after more than a year following Sept. 11th, I felt anxious visiting such a tall structure. Soldiers with machine guns were still seen patroling its interior. Tourists were allowed to take the elevator to the building's Skybridge which link the 2 Towers together on the 42nd floor. We were allowed to stay up there for a maximum of 15 minutes before we were ushered into the elevator to make room for the next group of tourists.

- AV

19 comments:

mrsnesbitt said...

I do not have a head for heights so these pictures really freaked me out, they are so real, especially the one looking down....I passed quickly on that one!

Dx

WalksFarWoman said...

How exotic for a 'K'! :)

I'm just like Denise, that looking down shot made me giddy. Great photo's though.

david mcmahon said...

Wow - the second shot is my favourite.

Dana a/k/a Sunshine said...

they made me dizzy too - great shots!

kml said...

Quite an impressive building!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Great perspective on the far shot. They are all nicely taken. You do get around!

Jean M Fogle said...

I love these pics and luckily I dont mind heights! Neat that you got to see something in person that fascinated you in a movie!
Jan

Hin Man said...

A great traveler post. What a beauty in those shots of Malaysia, thank you.

AVCr8teur said...

Thanks for everyone's comments. I didn't mean to cause any discomfort with the photos. The height made my knees weak too.

Deb said...

Been to KL several times. It's only a few hours bus ride away, or an hour's plane ride from Singapore. Amazing city! :)

Lynette said...

My goodness, I have to agree with Mrs. Nesbitt. I still feel a bit dizzy because my eye paused a second too long on the one looking down. However, I'm glad you used these great photos for your K.

And thanks so much for visiting my blog!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I've been to Singapore but not KL - huge buildings don't particular impress me but these are great shots.

I've just started joining in with the ABC Wednesday project and have added you to my ABC blogroll.

dot said...

Really beautiful pictures! How nice that you have traveled and seen so much. I bet you have lots of great pictures!

Mike said...

I would definitely not be happy standing at that window. I feel sick just looking at the picture.

AVCr8teur said...

Hi Deb, I like Singapore too. Wished I got to stay longer last time. It's like a 18 hrs. plane ride including 1 stopover; otherwise, I would go again.

AVCr8teur said...

Hi Lynette, Look at the horizon and whatever you do, don't look down. :)

AVCr8teur said...

Hi Ackworth Born, Welcome to ABC Wednesday. Thanks for including me in your blogroll. I'll do the same for you.

AVCr8teur said...

Mike, Luckily the observation area wasn't on the top floor.

AVCr8teur said...

Dot, I think I posted most of my travel pictures. Back in the days of film, I can't locate those pictures anymore.