Wednesday, October 17, 2007

M is for Meerkats on ABC Wednesdays







With their own television program on the Animal Planet channel, these meerkats have become very popular creatures.

On a recent trip to the San Diego Zoo, I stood there and watched these delightful animals play and interact with each other for hours in their habitat. If there are any strange noises, they would all stand alert and look around for danger. When they are convinced no prey is within range, they go back to their business.

In the 3rd picture, a large plane was flying overhead and one meerkat got immediately suspicious. Before I knew it, the whole colony was looking towards the sky for the threat.

- AV

13 comments:

Lynette said...

Fabulously entertaining ABC Wednesday post. I'd like to visit that zoo and watch these cuties myself.

If you get time, please visit my ABC Wednesday post, too. Thanks.

dot said...

Oh my! These are the cutest little creatures and your pictures of them are excellent! Thanks for showing me something I've never seen before.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Nice pictures, AV. I love that first one.

Have a Happy ABC and rest of the week.

Neva said...

I love the promos for meerkat manor on animal planet..they always sound so intriguing!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the meerkat series. And these pics are brilliant, they're such a camera happy subject to shoot.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I do rather enjoy the meerkat films but do feel they are somewhat exploited and mis-represented.

kml said...

I love to watch them - they are a bundle of energy! Great post!

AVCr8teur said...

Thanks Everyone, Meerkats are fun to watch although it is quite sad that during filming, humans can't interact with them to prevent some from being killed. They might be exploited similar to the penguins, but it gives humans a chance to learn about the species.

WalksFarWoman said...

Hi avcr8teur - I was by first thing on Wednesday morning but you were still in bed! :)

Love your Meerkats, they are the most fascinating of creatures - they don't do a lot but what they do do seems to be compulsive viewing. Lovely pics!

Jean M Fogle said...

I first heard about meerkats years ago when they were the cover of the Smithsonian magazine! they are too cool and make a great m post!

AVCr8teur said...

Walksfarwoman, I should post these on Tuesday night so people can see them in their time zone. Thanks for commenting and loved your M story & photo.

AVCr8teur said...

Thanks Jean. I wonder if Meerkats and Jacks get along? They sure would make great playmates.

mrsnesbitt said...

Oh wow! These are wonderful! Just seen your pic too..............why do you wear a bag on your head? LOL!