Saturday, November 26, 2011

Hidden Stairway

In case anyone overindulged during Thanksgiving or any other time, San Francisco has a few staircases where you work off some weight.
A few months ago, I walked with a meetup group through San Francisco and encountered a number of "hidden" staircases. Well, they weren't actually hidden if you knew where to look for them.

The picture here is of the "Farnsworth Steps" on Farnsworth Lane. It was named after Philo Farnsworth who was one of the first inventors of the television back in the late 1920's. Mr. Farnsworth used to live at the end of this stairway.

You have your choice of walking off your food at a number of San Francisco stairways listed here on the sisterbetty.org website.


- Karen

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Very interesting Karen! I could do with a walk up these staircases for some well needed exercise! Have a good weekend.

rainfield61 said...

Very well suggested.

Especially to those who have enjoyed too much on good food.

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

I love, love, love our hidden staircases. I used to walk the one up to Coit Tower on a regular basis. I didn't know about the Farnsworth ones, some day, when I am in that neighborhood I will most definitely check them out. Hope you are enjoying leftovers.

eastcoastlife said...

Yes, I heard of the many staircases in San Francisco. The lovely plants on both sides of the staircase is going to make the climb a pleasant one. :)

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

I love "hidden" staircases. Here in mostly flat Oklahoma there are not too many but I have found few.

Ryan said...

Phew I'm tired just looking at those steps.

betchai said...

oh, that would be one beautiful work out :)

Emm said...

Shoo, that is a beautiful photo! I would love to try out those steps! I really enjoy meetup groups in London, especially when we go on secret walking it photo tours.

Jenny Woolf said...

I bet climbing those stairs is good for you. My first reaction was "Phew" maybe that's because I climbed all the way up yesterday from a deep tube station to the surface. :D

FilipBlog said...

Typical San Francisco. I already feel my legs when I think back of my walking days on these steep streets.

Greetings,
Filip

William K Wallace said...

I would enjoy working out at such a beautiful location! We don't have stairways like that in my part of London...if we did I would use them as part of my fitness routine!